<<Back to Red90's Rover
1991 Land Rover Defender 90
I purchased the car in June,
2000. The car
is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
and is used primarily for off roading.
It is a 1991 Land Rover Defender
vehicle was originally owned by the British armed forces and used at CFB Wainwright in Canada
until 1995. It was
sold after an accident and rebuilt to UK civilian specification.
Current Modifications (as installed)
- 2 “cigarette lighter” style 12V power outlets with lighted bezels mounted
on center instrument cluster right wall.
- GPS mount for Garmin Nuvi 65LMT with
standard Garmin automotive mount and glue on base.
switch, dash light dimmer and interior light switch from a 1986
Buick Skyhawk. This was to get rid of the military light switch
so that center panel can be freed for other uses.
- Converted from truck cab to hard top.
- Insulated the lower cargo area.
Used polystyrene insulation board and 1/2" GIS fir plywood.
- 5 pound Fire extinguisher.
Norse Brand V-bar chains for the rear with cam tighteners.
- Firestik No Ground
Plane Side Mount Antenna, 4 foot, black.
- Installed insulation for the roof.
Consisting of 1/2" of closed cell foam (blue sleeping pad) followed by
1/2" of perforated vinyl backed open cell foam. Should give an
R-value of around 3.5.
- Single internal roll bar mounted
just behind bulkhead. The main bar is made from 2"STD ASTM
A-53 Gr.A ERW pipe with 1"STD
bracing. It is mounted to the corners of the seat boxes and to
the top of the bulkhead. The 2" Pipe continues under the seat
boxes and ties into the main chassis cross member with a 3" angle.
III rocker switches.
Current have reverse lights, air pump, Webasto control, cooling
fan control. There is room for 6 switches, which
I'll add as needed. Photo of the
- Sankey Trailer
- York air compressor, model 210 (long stroke)
liberated from an early 80's Jeep Wagoneer. Manufacturer’s Website. Quick disconnect
located in the cab below the hand throttle. Small,
home made tank mounted in the engine bay with a pressure switch and
Vision Series, 2-1/16", 4000 rpm, model 333-156.
- Warn 8274 winch. Custom
winch cradle mounted to strengthened bumper and all
galvanized. Wiring is with 2/0 welding cable directly to the
batteries. Rope is 3/8" x 100' synthetic.
center front seat. Used an ex-MOD
110 outer seat frame and sliders narrowed to fit a middle seat.
- Detroit Locker in the rear axle.
- QT Service differential guards front and rear.
- Defender version 200TDI and all ancillaries.
gauge. VDO Vision, 30 psig, 52 mm.
- Radio!!! Sony DSX-S300BTX CD/MP3 Receiver with front USB port and Bluetooth mounted in a Poly-Planar
WC-70 enclosure in black. Poly-Planar
MA905 waterproof marine speakers in black.
- VDO Fuel Level Gauge,
model 301-105, 52mm, 240 to 33 Ohm range (works with the stock sender)
- Power steering. Basically
stock using a new Adwest Lightweight, 4 bolt PS box and the pump that
came with the engine. The reservoir has
been mounted in a different location just in front of the brake fluid
reservoir in order to keep the piping runs shorter than the stock
- Fumoto oil
drain valve for the engine. ½” NPT with hose nipple.
- “Taurus” 2 speed fan narrowed to fit the radiator
and mounted from the stock mounts. Sealed
on the sides with weather stripping. Controlled
by a Flex-a-Lite model 31163 variable speed fan controller. The controller adjusts fan speed from 60 to
100% to control the engine temperature. The
temperature probe is hard mounted into the line between the thermostat
and the radiator. The control point is
adjustable and there are contacts to force the fan off or prevent it
from turning on.
- Southdown snorkel.
- Stanadyne FM100 fuel filter head with a 2 micron
- VDO Vision 120 mph speedometer calibrated to km/h.
- Webasto Thermotop C, 5 kW diesel fired coolant
heater. Manually switched in the cab plus
a wireless relay for remote starting. I
used a long
distance (1 km) wireless relay from DinoDirect.
- Sleeved tie rods with 1” SCHD 80 pipe.
- 1.222:1 Transfer case from a Disco 1.
front, late 300TDI exhaust to clear the area behind the axle for a fuel
- NOCO 12 Volt, 8 Amp
Gen 2 mini Battery Charger mounted in the battery box.
- Blind spot
SBI-3112 automatic battery isolator mounted in the battery box.
liter home made rear fuel tank. Uses common filler.
Switchover is using an Anderson
210C-LS manual 3 port fuel switching valve mounted on the front of
the seat box to the right of the gearbox tunnel. The level
use a common gauge with a switch in the dash to choose the tank.
- Airlift kit 60818
(for 2009-2015 Dodge Ram 1500). Spring part number 60318. 4.35 inches
diameter by 12 inches long. Genuine spring packers, ANR2938, top and
bottom, which are 3/8" high each. These are inside NRC4304
are 170 lb/in and 17" long.
- Truck-Lite headlamps. These are OEM
headlights from a Hummer H2 that use a sealed 9007 bulb. Read my review here.
outer front seats with new black vinyl Britpart retrim.
Duratrac 265/75R16 (Load range C) tires on Wolf rims.
- One Globalsat
AT-350 bulkhead mount GPS antenna mounted on the roof.
Motorsports RAD-1 Digital Audio Inclinometer mounted on dash.
4340 rear halfshafts.
MR-350 bulkhead mount GPS USB connected to a netbook for tracking
- Replacement 10 kW heater....
- Koni 8240
SPX Heavy Track shocks. 8240-1181SPX front, 8240-1190SPX rear.
- Momo Tuner Steering Wheel. 350mm, Black, model TUN35BK0B. Mounted on Momo 5607 hub (36 spline).
- Custom built rock sliders.
- Cobra CB Radio 29 LX.
- Allisport double core intercooler.
- MadMan EMS 3 engine monitoring system. Cooolant temperature to a VDO sender model 323-026 (5/8”-18 UNF) with a 98C high temperature switch. Oil temperature VDO 323-056 (M16x1.5). Oil Pressure VDO 360-023 (M10x1, 150 psi
with 7 psi low pressure switch). High
temperature switch wired into a buzzer and light. EGT via a
thermocouple installed at the manifold outlet, just below the turbo. Coolant level sensor mounted in radiator.
- Teltek TLK155 indoor/outdoor thermosmeter.
- Eaton TrueTrac front axle with Ashcroft halfshafts.
- Trubotechnics VGT Turbocharger.